School Records

site logo

Parents and pupils have a right of access to school records.

The Data Protection Act gives all school students, regardless of age, the right of access to their school pupil records.

The Data protection Act says:

"Requests to see or receive copies of records should be made in writing to head teachers."

In addition to the right to be given a copy of the educational record, students are entitled to be given a description of the personal data which makes up the record, together with details of the purposes for which the data are processed, the sources of the data (if known) and the individuals or organisations to which the data may have been disclosed.

A period of up to 15 school days are allowed in which to respond to a subject access request. (The equivalent period for other types of record is up to 40 days).

If asked to provide a hard copy of the record, a fee may be charged according to the number of pages.

Parents rights in addition to the subject access right which can be exercised by pupils or by parents acting on behalf of pupils, parents have their own independent right of access to the official educational records of their children under the separate education regulations. In essence the information to which parents are entitled and the exemptions are the same as for pupils although there is no parental right of access to information which does not form part of the official record.

Requests to see or receive copies of the educational records of their children should be made in writing to head teachers. If asked to supply a hard copy of the record, a fee covering the cost of supplying the information, may be charged.

Additionally other records may be obtained by right from either the LEA or the Social Services should either of these agencies become involved.

link to learntech Advert and link to Sands School

advert and link to Wolsey Hall Oxford

link to Cambridge Home Education

Link to The Tutor Pages Hub link to Online french tuition
Link to NEC distance learning
|About this site|Page last updated 16-Dec-2016 |